Tribes are encouraging healthy lifestyles and working on multiple fronts to proactively address problem gambling. Tribes have contributed more than $19 million to support responsible gambling education, prevention, treatment and wellness programs. Tribes are also tackling problem gambling through self-help programs, awareness-building campaigns, casino self-exclusions and ban requests.
Providing treatment is also critical to these efforts. Tribes are providing culturally appropriate, tribal focused interventions. They are also financially supporting treatment programs run by the state, tribal governments and local nonprofits.
Addressing addiction is an evolving effort, and tribes are committed to continual learning and refining their efforts to prevent and treat problem gambling.
Tribes’ work includes:
- Funding problem gambling programs, including a significant portion of the Evergreen Council on Problem Gambling’s (ECPG) budget.
- Supporting prevention and education through youth and elder programs, community talking circles, helpline signage, websites, posters, pamphlets, billboards, video, advertising, financial education classes, community events and partnerships.
- Training staff to build their capacity to recognize and address problem gambling.
- Designing and implementing treatment programs to tribal and non-tribal members, including inpatient, intensive outpatient, outpatient, aftercare, group and family care and intervention support.
- Designing culturally appropriate and community-based approaches to treatment.
- Providing counseling to address problem-gambling related topics such as money management, emotion regulation, cross addition and the impact of gambling on relationships.
- Forming the Intertribal Providers Coalition, where tribal problem gambling counselors meet on a monthly basis.
- Offering self-exclusion programs so guests with problem gambling behaviors can permanently exclude themselves from the property.
- National Problem Gambling Helpline: 1-800-522-4700 or ncpgambling.org/chat
- Evergreen Council on Problem Gambling Helpline: 800.547.6133 https://www.evergreencpg.org/
- Cowlitz Tribe: https://ilaniresort.com/gaming/responsible-gaming.html#program
- Kalispel Tribe of Indians: https://www.kalispelcasino.com/responsible-gaming
- Puyallup Tribal Treatment Center: https://www.eptha.com/departments-and-services/addiction-treatment/
- Swinomish Wellness Program: http://www.swinomish-nsn.gov/resources/health-wellness/wellness-program.aspx
- Suquamish: https://suquamish.nsn.us/home/departments/wellness-center/
- Tulalip Tribes: https://www.tulalipresortcasino.com/Home/ResponsibleGaming
- Washington State Health Authority: https://www.hca.wa.gov/health-care-services-supports/behavioral-health-recovery/problem-gambling