Tribes encourage healthy lifestyles and work on multiple fronts to proactively address problem gambling. Tribes contribute more than $3 million each year to support responsible gambling education, prevention, treatment and wellness programs. They also tackle problem gambling through self-help programs, awareness-building campaigns, casino self-exclusions and ban requests.
Treatment is also critical to these efforts. Tribes provide culturally appropriate, tribal-focused interventions. They also financially support treatment programs run by the state, tribal governments and local nonprofits.
Addressing addiction is an evolving effort, and tribes are committed to continual learning and refining their efforts to prevent and treat problem gambling.
Tribes’ work includes:
- Designing and implementing treatment programs to tribal and non-tribal members, including inpatient, intensive outpatient, outpatient, aftercare, group and family care and intervention support.
- Funding problem gambling programs, including a significant portion of the Evergreen Council on Problem Gambling (ECPG)’s budget.
- Supporting prevention and education through youth and elder programs, community talking circles, helpline signage, websites, posters, pamphlets, billboards, video, advertising, financial education classes, community events and partnerships.
- Training staff to build their capacity to recognize and address problem gambling.
- Designing culturally appropriate and community-based approaches to treatment.
- Providing counseling to address problem-gambling related topics such as money management, emotion regulation, cross addiction and the impact of gambling on relationships.
- Forming the Intertribal Providers Coalition, where tribal problem gambling counselors meet on a monthly basis.
- Offering self-exclusion programs so guests with problem gambling behaviors can permanently exclude themselves from the property.
Struggling with Problem Gambling?
Washington State Problem Gambling Helpline: 1-800-547-6133
- Chehalis Tribal Tsapowum Behavioral Health Center
- Colville Behavioral Health Program
- Cowlitz Tribal Treatment Program
- Hoh Tribe Chief Klia Wellness Center
- Jamestown S’Klallam Tribe Problem Gambling Program
- Kalispel Tribe of Indians
- Lower Elwha Klallam Counseling Services
- Lummi Health Clinic
- Makah – Indian Health Center
- Muckleshoot Responsible Gaming
- Nisqually Responsible Gaming
- Nooksack Behavioral Health
- Port Gamble S’Klallam Tribe Behavioral Health
- Puyallup Tribal Treatment Center
- Quileute Behavioral Health Program
- Quinault Department of Social Service
- Samish Problem Gambling Services
- Sauk-Suiattle Indian Tribe Medical & Behavioral Health Clinic
- Shoalwater Behavioral Health
- Skokomish Wellness Center
- Spokane Tribe of Indians Behavioral Health
- Squaxin Island Tribe Health Services
- Stillaguamish Behavioral Health Programs
- Suquamish Tribe Wellness Center
- Swinomish Wellness Program
- Tulalip Tribes
- Yakama Nation Behavioral Health Services